Manager - Raw Materials (Soma)Brand: Soma Intimates
Category: Global Sourcing
This position is primarily responsible for driving the research, gathering, and development of a fabric group or trim area. Partners with cross-functional teams and external vendor/mill partners in the development of high-quality, brand-right fabrics. Collaborates with cross functional teams in establishing, refining, and implementing Fabric R&D processes into the broader design and development process, internal and external. Partners with Textile Technologist to understand technical issues/limitations of the raw materials and works with supplier to resolve/improve them.
- Develops and gathers fabrics assortments according to design direction, while proposing fabric/product improvements to elevate the quality of the brand.
- Drives the fabric development process and calendar; adhering to Time & Action (T&A) partnering with design and product development partners. Maintains, updates, and analyzes fabric projects ensuring fiscal and quality goals.
- Ensures brand appropriate, trend right, and of elevated quality so as to elevate the aesthetic and inherent value of the product and the brand.
- Researches and stays abreast of aesthetic fabric (or trim) trends and technological developments. Collaborates with design and merchant partners in the identification of core, key, and novelty fabric strategies. Considers a "speed to market" approach and supports existing pricing structure.
- Suggests and drives creative solutions to fabric pricing challenges. Partners in the procurement of bulk yardage fabric purchases in order to lower fabric costs and impact the Gross Margin.
- Builds and updates the fabric library while guiding the maintenance of the library and database.
- Forges global relationships with mills/vendors globally while developing & maintaining existing relationships through ongoing communication.
- Develops core and peripheral mills and fabric qualities as directed to align with and support company strategy. Drives ITR Testing processes for hand-off to Textile Technologist. Works with internal and external partners to help resolve fabric or trim limitations.
- Bachelor's degree in Fashion Design or related field
- 5+ years experience in global Fabric research and development within the intimates industry; Management experience preferred
- Ability to research fabric according to trend direction and to support business strategies and outlined seasonal expectations
- Very detail oriented and ability to drive to completion with strong communication, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Solid base of mill and vendor contacts for area of specialization, yarn, knit, woven, trims
- Current technical knowledge in area of fabric specialization as it relates to fabric qualities, specifically fabric construction, content, dyeing, printing, finishing, and washing techniques including mill capabilities and limitations
- Computer literate in Microsoft office programs and FlexPLM
- Knowledge of fabric shows and research avenues
- Domestic and international travel for trade shows and development and as needed.
How do we do it? It's all about you. Honestly. Every time we pick up a pencil to sketch a new design, we think about you: where you're going, what you're doing, what will flatter your body and make you feel fabulous.Even as Chico's has grown, our values—beautiful apparel, exceptional service and deep appreciation for our customers—still remain at the heart of who we are today.