Director - Design (Soma)Brand: Soma Intimates
Category: Fashion Design
The Director of Design is the strategic leader of the Design Team and is responsible for clearly directing and driving the cohesive design and execution of the Collections across all classifications while maintaining Soma brand integrity. The Director is responsible for mentoring, guiding, and developing the Design Team through its evolution in its organization, processes, and its partnerships with all cross-functional teams both internal and external.
- Owner of the design process from the approval of the Monthly Concepts.
- Responsible for being highly influential in the development of the Seasonal and Monthly Concepts and expanding beyond the origination point into a cohesive collection.
- Directs the development and design of the collection through the design team including fabric, print, trim, silhouette, outfitting, Monthly Key Looks, and fit across multiple seasons and all stages of the development cycle.
- Develop long and short term strategic plans for the Design team and Design processes in order to support macro business strategies while partnering cross-functionally.
- Drive and coordinate the calendar and process through the Design team and Cross-Functional teams including Concept, CAD, Fabric, Tech, Merchant, and Production; evaluating and enhancing as needed.
- Build, lead, develop, and mentor the Design team in its growth and development in both creative and managerial roles.
- Develop and promote strong relationships with internal and external services, vendors, and suppliers.
- Responsible for maintaining current knowledge of the Soma customer through regular store visits and attending key business meetings.
- Responsible for staying abreast of current market and trade trends through frequent travel domestic, Europe, and Asia.
- 4-Year College Degree required; preferably in Design
- 10 + years' of Intimates Design experience including team management experience
- Exceptional Silhouette, Color and Trend forecasting ability
- Strong print and pattern sense
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of fabrics and pattern-making skills
- Ability to travel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Illustrator, Photoshop, and FlexPLM
How do we do it? It's all about you. Honestly. Every time we pick up a pencil to sketch a new design, we think about you: where you're going, what you're doing, what will flatter your body and make you feel fabulous.Even as Chico's has grown, our values—beautiful apparel, exceptional service and deep appreciation for our customers—still remain at the heart of who we are today.