Director - Design (Soma)Brand: Soma Intimates
Category: Fashion Design
The Director of Design is the strategic leader of the Design Team and is responsible for clearly directing and driving the cohesive design and execution of the Collections across all classifications while maintaining Soma brand integrity. The Director is responsible for mentoring, guiding, and developing the Design Team through its evolution in its organization, processes, and its partnerships with all cross-functional teams both internal and external.
- Owner of the design process from the approval of the Monthly Concepts.
- Responsible for being highly influential in the development of the Seasonal and Monthly Concepts and expanding beyond the origination point into a cohesive collection.
- Directs the development and design of the collection through the design team including fabric, print, trim, silhouette, outfitting, Monthly Key Looks, and fit across multiple seasons and all stages of the development cycle.
- Develop long and short term strategic plans for the Design team and Design processes in order to support macro business strategies while partnering cross-functionally.
- Drive and coordinate the calendar and process through the Design team and Cross-Functional teams including Concept, CAD, Fabric, Tech, Merchant, and Production; evaluating and enhancing as needed.
- Build, lead, develop, and mentor the Design team in its growth and development in both creative and managerial roles.
- Develop and promote strong relationships with internal and external services, vendors, and suppliers.
- Responsible for maintaining current knowledge of the Soma customer through regular store visits and attending key business meetings.
- Responsible for staying abreast of current market and trade trends through frequent travel domestic, Europe, and Asia.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Dealing with Ambiguity
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
Doesn't hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and "actionable" positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation (not including direct reports) quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; anticipates where the land mines are and plans his/her approach accordingly; views corporate politics as a necessary part of organizational life and works to adjust to that reality; is a maze-bright person.
Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- 4-Year College Degree Preferred
- 10 + years' of related experience including management experience
- Exceptional Silhouette, Color and Trend forecasting ability
- Strong print and pattern sense
- Strong organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of fabrics and pattern-making skills
- Ability to travel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Micrografix a plus
How do we do it? It's all about you. Honestly. Every time we pick up a pencil to sketch a new design, we think about you: where you're going, what you're doing, what will flatter your body and make you feel fabulous.Even as Chico's has grown, our values—beautiful apparel, exceptional service and deep appreciation for our customers—still remain at the heart of who we are today.